By Rachelle Mullings
In Calgary, we are privileged to enjoy two seasons, summer being the shortest and winter being the longest (I definitely say this jokingly). Out of the two, I quite enjoy summer. The beautiful weather, the cute outfits, and the long walks along the river remind me of how beautiful Calgary is.
While enjoying the weather is top priority, I like to be creative and make different summer drinks for dinners with friends and family or just when I am outside on the patio reading a book.
When I think of the perfect summer drink, I imagine something refreshing to help quench my thirst, please my palate, and cool me down. I think about my friends and family hanging out in my backyard, catching up and enjoying summer at its finest. The memories of outdoor parties reminds me that there is always a perfect summer drink to complete any menu.
Here are my top five picks for my favorite summer drinks of 2014.
1. pina colada
- 2 cups of fresh or canned Pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup of cream of Coconut such as Coco Lopez
- 1 cup of light rum
- 3 cups of crushed ice
- 4 fresh Pineapple spears for a garnish
- Combine all ingredients except for the garnish in a blender. Blend and pour into tumblers. Garnish with Pineapple spears and serve immediately.
2. pink grapefruit margaritas
This non-alcoholic pink drink is a great treat for children during festive occasions. Sanding sugar is a large-grain decorative sugar; granulated sugar may be substituted.
ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 tablespoons of coloured sanding sugar
- 1 lime
- 6 teaspoons of Pomegranate syrup or Grenadine
- 1 1/2 cups of pink Grapefruit juice
- Place the sanding sugar in a shallow dish or plate. Slice six thin rounds from the middle of the lime and set aside. Rub the lime wedge around the rims of six glasses and dip each rim in sugar to coat. Pour 1 teaspoon of Pomegranate syrup into the bottom of each glass.
- Place Grapefruit juice and 2 cups of ice cubes in a blender. Process on high speed until the ice is crushed. Pour the frozen mixture into glasses and stir to combine with syrup. Garnish with the reserved lime rounds and serve immediately.
3. sparkling grapefruit sangria
ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 750 mL bottle of Riesling
- 1 750 mL bottle of Prosecco (or Dry Champagne)
- 1 cup of Grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup of simple syrup
- 1/2 cup of Club Soda
- 1 1/2 cups of sliced Strawberries
- 1 Grapefruit, cut into chunks or slices
directions (10 mins.)
- Place fruit in a large pitcher, then combine remaining ingredients and pour on top. Refigerate for an hour or so before serving.
source: how sweet it is – sparkling grapefruit sangria recipe
4. rum punch
ingredients (serves 12)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 cups of Mango juice such as Looza
- 3 cups of Pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups of Dark Rum
- 1/3 cup of fresh Lime juice
- 1/4 cup of Grenadine
- 3 cups of Club Soda
directions (40 mins.)
- Combine sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; transfer sugar mixture to a small bowl. Chill.
- Combine sugar mixture, mango juice, and next 4 ingredients (through grenadine) in a large bowl; mix well. Stir in soda. Serve over ice.
5. lava flow
ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 ounce of Coconut syrup
- 2 ounces of Pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 ounces of Rum
- 1 splash of Vanilla Ice Milk or Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1 1/2 ounces of Strawberry Puree
- Blend all ingredients except for the Strawberry puree. Pour into a cocktail glass and garnish with the Strawberry puree.